Friday, March 30, 2012

I can't see my life without Dance


Thank you everyone for your encouraging response to our series of updates and interviews leading up to SIFAS Alumni's presentation of Krishna BhAratham on 8 April 2012. Next in the series is a short interview with Dhriti Vaidyanathan, Marketting Club 21.



Having completed your arangetram sometime in 2006, you would have gained some experience over these years. How would you compare your prior experiences to your current involvement in the Krishna BhAratham production?

When I did my Arangetram, I was 15 years old and pretty inexperienced. My focus has since shifted. Before it had been on the technical aspects such as remembering the item itself. You could say that I was at a “beginner” stage then. Since then, I have learnt to place more emphasis on the songs; in understanding the raga, tala and intricate aspects. So I come across not only executing but also emoting the piece. This understanding of the relationship between the music and dance has also enhanced my presentation.



You have shared with us your growth as an artiste. Has this experience impacted you as an individual?

Living outside India and having that connection to your culture is a satisfying experience. I feel fulfilled. And it goes beyond learning and this experience with Krishna BhAratham. I now can’t see my life without dance. It has gone beyond being a hobby to now becoming a serious part of my life.


It seems to have been a life changing experience for you...

Sheejith Sir incorporated about 6-8 verses from the Bhagavad Gita. A lot of them impart general values, but the underlying message I get from it all is to do your best and there is nothing beyond that within your control.

I have had to struggle with balancing work and dance. Trying to plan my time in advance can be rather stressful, so I am taking each day as it comes. Putting my best foot forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment