Friday, July 11, 2014

Generation Next - Nishanth Thiagarajan

The National Indian Music Competition organized by the National Arts Council, triennially, is perhaps the most anticipated and competitive event in the Indian classical music scene in Singapore. This year’s edition was no different, and having participated and won the Intermediate Category in Carnatic Vocal previously, I was looking forward to pit myself against some stiff competition this time. The unique thing about the open category is that you cannot predict who your competitor is; in the intermediate category you would roughly know who you are up against living in a small country with strong connections all around. The Finals was quite a challenge; I must say it was quite merciless of them to test me on Suddha Saveri right after a competitor sang Madhyamavati. I relished the task, though, and took conscious effort to distinguish the two ragams with my Raga alapana. Once that was done, the mood was set, and the rest followed. Creativity, perhaps, flourishes in an environment most testing.

I am definitely not the first SIFAS alumnus to win the Carnatic Vocal Open category, and I am sure there are many juniors learning from the esteemed Gurus of this institution, who will continue to bring pride to themselves, their families, and their Gurus. I wish that the classical music scene in Singapore continues to develop, and not stagnate, expanding beyond this triennial series and the occasional other small-scaled festivals which do not receive much publicity or attendance. We definitely could do with a culture and spirit that promotes, why even self-promotes the talent of our youth. While this may sound obnoxious, it is perhaps the best and only way for classical musicians to have a sense of pride in the art they so passionately pursue.
By brewing an environment that seeks to bring the best out of every musical talent we have in the Indian classical scene, through support, opportunities and publicity, it is even possible that more would consider taking the art as a professional career. With the huge advantage of proximity we have to Chennai (It takes only slightly longer to get from Singapore to Chennai as it does from say Delhi to Chennai by flight) it seems reasonable that we should be able to nurture musicians who are based in Singapore but regularly perform year-round in India along with the professionals from India. If there’s ‘Chennaiyil Tiruvaiyaru’, what stops there from being a ‘Singaiyil Mylapore’?

I am also glad to share that I have a few concerts coming up concerts in which I am singing. The first is the Ragam Taanam Pallavi series organized by our own alumnus, Ganesh Jayabal, on the 12th and 13th of July. Also, I am privileged to sing at Trivandrum on the 20th of July, for a Neelakanta Sivan festival. It thrills me that, right after my concert, at the same venue, Sanjay Subramaniam is singing!

Last but not least, I have been given a chance to perform at the Spirit of Youth Music Festival, a concert-competition series organized annually by the Madras Music Academy. I will be performing with and against some of the most talented Carnatic musicians of my age category. It’s going to be one serious challenge. The violinist accompanying me, for instance, is a child prodigy from the US! It’s going to be a steep learning curve as I prepare for this concert, along with the guidance of my Guru. I’m glad that I have these chances, and I have to thank SIFAS for being the nurturing institution it has been, allowing me to mature in my music and presenting me with ample opportunity to perform at places I would otherwise be unable to.




No comments:

Post a Comment